1. The bustling capital of South America
The bustling capital of Uruguay, Montevideo, is the largest city and chief port of the country. With a population of over 1.3 million, it is the hub of the nation's economy and culture. The official name of Uruguay is The Oriental Republic of Uruguay, and it is located in the southeastern region of South America.
2. Uruguay, a South American country, gains its independence from Brazil
Uruguay, a South American country, gained its independence from Brazil on 25 August 1825 and has since adopted the peso as its official currency. The peso is divided into 100 centésimos and is issued by the Central Bank of Uruguay. The peso has been in circulation since Uruguay's independence and is currently the only legal tender in the country.
3. A Country of Contrasts
Uruguay enjoys a warm and temperate climate, with temperatures rarely dropping below 10°C in the winter and rarely rising above 30°C in the summer. The country experiences four distinct seasons, with spring and autumn being the most pleasant. Rainfall is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year, with the heaviest rainfall occurring in the summer months. The country's coastal region is particularly mild, with temperatures rarely dropping below 15°C in the winter and rarely rising above 25°C in the summer.
4. No Official Religion, 54% Catholic
Uruguay is a country with no official religion, but 54% of its population identifies as Roman Catholic and 1% as Jewish. Spanish is the main language spoken in Uruguay, but Portuguese and Portunol are also commonly used. This is reflective of the country's diverse cultural heritage, which has been shaped by its history of immigration from Europe, the Middle East, and other parts of Latin America.
5. Uruguay boasts high literacy rate
Uruguay is a South American country with a population of approximately 3.5 million people, and it boasts an impressive 97.3% literacy rate. This is one of the highest literacy rates in the world, and it is a testament to the country's commitment to education. Uruguay has invested heavily in its education system, and it has paid off with a population that is highly literate and well-informed. This high literacy rate has enabled Uruguay to become a leader in the region in terms of economic development and social progress.
6. Uruguay celebrates its national day
Uruguay celebrates its national day on August 25th, commemorating the day in 1825 when the country gained its independence. This day is a source of great pride for Uruguayans, who take the opportunity to celebrate their nation's history and culture. The day is marked with parades, fireworks, and other festivities, and is a reminder of the country's long and proud history.
7. Uruguay's love affair with soccer
Uruguay has a long-standing love affair with soccer, which began in 1909 when the sport was first introduced to the country. Since then, soccer has become the leading sport in Uruguay, with the country's national team having won two FIFA World Cups and a record 15 Copa América titles. Soccer is deeply embedded in the culture of Uruguay, with the country's passion for the sport evident in the large crowds that attend matches and the enthusiasm of the players.
8. 45th Country in the World for Quality of Life
Uruguay has been ranked by the United Nations as the 45th country in the world for Quality of Life. This is largely due to the country's diverse population, with 88% of the population being white, and the remaining 12% made up of Mestizos, black, and Amerindian ethnic groups. This mix of cultures has created a vibrant and welcoming atmosphere, making Uruguay an attractive destination for those looking for a high quality of life.
9. Uruguay's Economy Driven by Agriculture
Uruguay's economy is largely driven by agriculture, which contributes 10% to the country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP). This includes the production of rice, wheat, fish, corn and barley. Additionally, Uruguay's major industries are food processing, electrical machinery, transportation equipment, petroleum products, chemicals, textiles and beverages, all of which are essential to the country's economic growth.
10. Uruguay relies heavily on imports to meet its needs
Uruguay is a country that relies heavily on imports to meet its needs. It imports crude and refined oil to fuel its transportation vehicles, such as cars, buses, and trucks, as well as the parts necessary to keep them running. Additionally, Uruguay imports cellular phones, allowing its citizens to stay connected.
More facts on
- Member states of Mercosur
- Southern Cone countries
- Countries in South America
- Spanish-speaking countries and territories
- Former Spanish colonies