1. The 31 Banks of A Symbol of Economic Freedom
Belarus is home to an impressive 31 banks, with the vast majority of them (30) owned by the government. The only privately owned bank in the country is a testament to the nation's commitment to a free market economy. This single privately owned bank is a symbol of the nation's progress and its commitment to economic freedom.
2. The Currency of The Belarusian Ruble
The Republic of Belarus has the Belarusian Ruble as its official currency. The Belarusian Ruble is the national currency of Belarus and is issued by the National Bank of the Republic of Belarus. It is divided into 100 kapeykas and is denoted by the symbol BYN. The Belarusian Ruble is used for all transactions in Belarus, including the purchase of goods and services, and is also accepted in some neighbouring countries.
3. A Country on the Rise
In 1990, Belarus achieved independence from the Soviet Union, marking a major milestone in the nation's history. This event was a significant step forward for the country, as it allowed Belarus to become a sovereign state and to pursue its own political and economic objectives. Since then, Belarus has made great strides in developing its economy and improving the quality of life for its citizens.
4. A Landlocked Country in Eastern Europe
Belarus is a landlocked country located in Eastern Europe, bordered by five other countries: Russia to the east and northeast, Ukraine to the south, Poland to the west, Lithuania to the northwest, and Latvia to the north. With a total land area of 207,600 square kilometers, Belarus is the 81st largest country in the world.
5. Belarus, a Country with a Unique Name
Belarus, a country located in Eastern Europe, is known for its unique name which translates to "White Russia". This name is derived from the term "White Ruthenia", which was used to describe the lands of the Eastern Slavs in the Middle Ages. The term "White Russia" was used to distinguish the area from the neighboring "Black Ruthenia", which was located in what is now Ukraine.
Also → 2 Million Call Minsk Home
6. A Country of Diversity
Belarus is a country with a population of approximately 9.5 million people, of which 80% are native Belarusians and the remaining 20% are composed of minorities, primarily Russians. This diversity of cultures and backgrounds has helped to shape the country's unique identity and culture, making it an interesting and vibrant place to visit.
7. A Presidential System of Government
Belarus is a country with a presidential system of government, which consists of a president and a national assembly. The president is the head of state and is elected by the people for a five-year term. The national assembly is the legislative body of the country and is composed of two chambers: the Council of the Republic and the House of Representatives. The Council of the Republic is composed of 64 members, while the House of Representatives has 110 members. Both chambers are elected by the people for four-year terms. The president has the power to appoint the prime minister and other members of the government, as well as to dissolve the national assembly.Advertisement
8. Two Languages, Two Worlds: The Duality of Belarus
In Belarus, the two official spoken languages are Belarusian and Russian. Belarusian is the native language of the majority of the population, while Russian is widely used in business, education, and media. Both languages are taught in schools and are used in official documents. Belarusian is also used in literature, music, and theatre, and is the language of the Belarusian Orthodox Church.
9. Minsk: The Capital of Belarus
Minsk, the capital of Belarus, is the largest city in the country, boasting a population of over 2 million people. It is a vibrant and bustling city, with a rich cultural heritage and a wide range of attractions. From its iconic churches and monuments to its lively nightlife and shopping districts, Minsk is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to explore the beauty of Belarus.
10. The Two Major Industries of Belarus
Belarus is a country where agriculture and manufacturing are the two largest industries. Agriculture is a major contributor to the country's economy, with the majority of the population employed in the sector. Manufacturing is also a major industry, with a wide range of products being produced, including machinery, chemicals, textiles, and food products. Both industries are essential to the country's economic growth and development, providing employment opportunities and contributing to the country's GDP.
More facts on
- Countries of Europe with multiple official languages
- Eastern European countries
- Russian-speaking countries and territories
- Landlocked countries
- Countries in Europe